Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The One Where the Ruffles Almost Kicked My Butt!

The weekend took an unexpected twist on the knitting front! Trying to finish those last few rows of Just Enough Ruffles was an act of patience and persistence. Friday night I was working away all jazzed at the thought of getting it finished and midway through my first row, my Knit Picks’ Options’ cable broke! You can imagine my horror at a broken cable and 600 stitches on the line – even worse, I was not at home so I couldn’t do a thing about it and still worse, I hadn’t brought any other knitting with me because I was so sure that I would use my Friday Night knitting time to finish the beast.

So Saturday morning I started another Kureyon Log Cabin square because I couldn’t bear to deal with the Ruffles, but eventually I did sit down and got it back on course. So Saturday night while watching the Panthers play the worst game of football ever, I finished it or so I thought it was finished. When I tried it on, I didn’t like the way it looked, but I thought “oh well another project that just didn’t make the grade.” I kept thinking about it and on Sunday afternoon I looked at other ones on Ravelry and I realized that I didn’t end it correctly. That’s what happens when you don’t have the pattern with you. I had read it the other day and remembered the 4 more rows of stockinette and bind off in purl stitch. I did that, but what I neglected to read and/or remember was that you had to do one more row of knit stitch on the wrong side and then bind off in purl stitch.
Normally this would not be a big deal, but with 600 stitches to deal with, I was not the happiest knitter in the world – it takes a really long time to pick up 600 stitches, but I reminded myself that I knit because I love the process and even if I was a product knitter, I would want the best looking project. So, the process began of unbinding and picking up 600 stitches. Yes, I keep repeating the 600 thing – it is a lot of stitches. In the end I am so glad that I did because the ruffle looks a million times better finished this way and I am now very happy with my finished product.

I also finished Argosy this past weekend. The actual knitting was done before Christmas, but I did not have time to block it before we went on vacation. I blocked it Saturday morning and it looks beautiful. I love the color changes and the construction was very interesting to knit which made this one work up quickly. I will definitely make another one just not sure if I will use Kureyon again or another yarn. I have some Kureyon in the stash that would work, but we will see. There are other things to finish first – like the One Cable Vest. Once I get it back on track it will be an easy trip across the finish line on that project.

No comments: