Wednesday, July 16, 2008

In Knitting We Trust?

Do you trust the knitting process? Knitting is definitely a leap of faith. You choose a pattern and yarn and you cast on in hopes that you will have a project that you love when it is all said and done. I have decided that you just have to keep the faith and trust in the pattern and trust in the process. Why am I talking about this topic today?

Well, I am making progress on my Spring Forward sock and I am loving the way that it looks, but the pattern calls for size one needles and in my very limited past sock experience, I have worked on size two’s with usually 64 stitches. With these socks you cast on 66 stitches, but two extra stitches is not a lot when you are working on ones. I haven’t gotten to a point where I can test this sock for size. I think that I am going to be okay, but I am not totally sure and it is gnawing at me. Don’t you hate it when things take up room in your brain - playing in the background of everything else going on your life?!?! I have ten more rows to go when I get to the point of working the heel flap and I know at that point I will be able to try the sock on and see how it fits.

What’s the worst that can happen? I will have to frog it and start over! At least we are only talking about 75 rows or so – eeek! When you are trying to reduce Wip-n-Stash, the thought of taking a step backwards is well,distressing. But, I have chosen to continue and trust in the pattern and trust in me even though I have continued to experience on-going knitting challenges this week. There are those that say knitting is a reflection of where you are in your life at a current point in time. Right now I am frazzled for some unexplained reason – could be the conference that I am involved in planning at work that takes place tomorrow and Friday. Could be life in general. Could be the meds I am taking that have me a little off-kilter. I am hoping that by Friday, I will get to a calmer place in my world and that will be reflected in my knitting.

At Great Expectations – In Knitting We Trust. It’s just the way it has to be if you want to experience the best from your knitting.

No comments: