Saturday, July 12, 2008

From Frustration to Ahhh!


Does your knitting ever frustrate you? Thursday night and Friday morning was the most frustrating knitting time I have experienced in a long time. Thursday night I cast on for the Spring Forward socks. I thought I wanted to do a picot edge for the ribbing and that was a disaster from start to finish. I did the provisional cast-on with one yarn and it was too thick – so I ripped that out and started again with a different yarn. I got that going, but I still wasn’t sure whether it was going to work. I got up on Friday morning early and went right to work where I had left off the night before. I managed to get to the point of joining the cast on stitches with the live stitches and it was awkward, but I worked my way through it and I was pleased with my efforts and then I looked down and saw that a stitch had dropped somewhere along the way. Ugh! Usually I can fix these kinds of things so I went to work and what a MESS!! Between the dropped stitch and my continuing ambivalence about the picot edge (I was afraid that it was going to be too big an opening), I decided to frog the whole thing. I was aggravated and I knew that it just needed a new beginning, but then I had to take the kid to get his braces put on, so I decided to take the Lace Ribbon Scarf with me to work on while I was waiting. Well, wouldn’t you know it, I must have gotten distracted with all the people in the waiting room and somehow I made some kind of mistake somewhere along the line. So at that point I was totally out of sorts with all things knitting. But, Friday night after work I got the Lace Ribbon Scarf back on track.

Once I could sit down in a quiet area and concentrate and really look at what had happened, I was able to get all the stitches back on the needles the right way. In this pattern there are a lot of double yarn overs as well as a lot of ssk’s and with those you have to reposition the stitches to get them back in the right direction. I was exhausted last night, but it felt good to go to bed knowing that at least one of my frustrations was fixed. Then this morning after looking at other SF socks on ravelry, I decided to do the twisted rib cuff, so the first sock is back on the needles and I love the color and I love how the twisted rib is looking in the yarn and color (STR – Algae). I am excited to get going on this sock and after I finish my first pair then we will revisit the whole picot edge situation. I definitely want to master that technique so it has not gotten the best of me yet!

This morning I also realized that I have the perfect project for Knit Night. I started working on the Dayflower Cardigan while we were at the beach and the back of that cardi is knit in all stockinette stitch. I am absolutely loving the color and the feel of the yarn. It is definitely something that I would be smart to finish ASAP since it would be perfect for our North Carolina summertime weather. So in the end, all of my frustrations to turned to a great big ahhhh!

No comments: