Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What a Difference a Week Makes!

And not in the best way! A week ago I was here at the office energetically getting ready to take a couple of days off. Now this week, it is just life as usual which is not nearly as exciting. We had a wonderful trip with beautiful weather, good golf courses for the guys to play and a nice treat for me.

I had researched yarn stores before we left and I found that there was one store in Southern Pines called Bella Filati. I wasn’t sure whether I would go or not for a couple of reasons, but while we were driving around on Thursday night we did a drive-by to see where it was and it was in the quaintest section of Southern Pines. We had never seen this side of Southern Pines and it was basically their historic district with all kinds of shops and restaurants. The next morning I dropped the guys off for golf and I went to Pinehurst to decide what my day would hold. I was sitting and knitting in this cafĂ© called Poppy’s when a gentleman approached me and asked me about my interest in knitting and whether I knew about this yarn store in Southern Pines…turns out his wife works at Bella Filati. Well, I had to go after that and I was not disappointed.

It is a beautiful store with a friendly and knowledgeable staff. Their selection of yarn was exceptional and they had a wall of Malabrigo! It was the best thing to be able to see so many of the Malabrigo colors in person. I bought two skeins and I am debating what to make with it. Last night I queued several options in Ravelry. I also bought some pretty pink yarn to make a smoke ring. I bought some lace weight merino in a pretty purple colorway and when I went back the next day to purchase the pattern for the smoke ring, I also bought some heathered purple Ella Rae in a worsted weight. I didn’t really need it, but the color was lovely and the price was right. I really enjoyed my time at Bella Filati and I hope that we will be returning to Southern Pines from time to time so that I can go back.

On the knitting front, I didn’t get as much knitting done on our trip as I had hoped which was OK because I was spending quality time with the guys, but I am almost done with my second Magic Loop sock. I have made quite a bit of progress on the foot of my second Spring Forward sock and I made some more progress on the Scarfy Come Home scarf and I just love the Noro Silk Garden. I did a little bit more on my February Lady Sweater. I am really enjoying it and I just hope that the size is going to be right.

Should be a good rest of the week for knitting and there are no major plans for the weekend so hopefully there will be some good progress because as much as I love all of my projects...I am drowning in yarn!!

No comments: