Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Screwed by the Corkscrew Fringe?


The first WIP that I am attacking is my Nicky Epstein Corkscrew Fringe Scarf. I bought the book, Knitting on the Edge, when it first came out. I saw this scarf and I just thought the corkscrews were cool. I also really wanted to try Koigu. I had been reading about all the Charlotte’s Webs that were being made at the time and I didn’t want to tackle that, but the yarn intrigued me. The project was perfect for easy, no-thinking knitting and I worked on it from time to time until I finished the main section of the scarf and then the corkscrews totally SCREWed me up!

So, the scarf got put away until last weekend. When I got it out, I was once again struck by how much I love the yarn. I looked through Knitting on the Edge to see if there was another edge to use for the scarf, but in the end I still really liked the look of the corkscrews. So I got out some Cascade 220 and my size 8 needles and played until I got the gist of how the increases work. Trying to do the corkscrews originally on size 4 needles was part of my problem because I am a fairly tight knitter. So, I decided I would make the corkscrews on size 5 needles. It all came together and now I am on my way to finishing a WIP. Yippie!!

No comments: